Hazaribagh, July 29: As the survey for construction of a diversion on Ranchi-Patna Highway (NH-33) near Kujju came to an end today, another fire was reported at an abandoned mine near here.

Sukh Ram strips to his bare minimum and slithers into a stinky manhole as traffic whizzes above him. With no masks to protect against odious fumes, no protective gloves and a primitive spade as a tool, his job is to clean a choked drain of muck so that it does not overflow when monsoon hits the city.

New Delhi: After a TOI report last week that highlighted deaths of sewerage workers due to lack of facilities, the Delhi High Court has demanded a report from PWD in this regard. It has asked PWD that why despite HC orders to provide safety equipment to sewerage workers the situation has not improved.

Two safai karmachari with the Public Works Department (PWD), Delhi, died a tragic death on Thursday afternoon when the sewer they were working on in the Model Town area started emanating poisonous gases and they inhaled the same.

Aviation leaders called on Monday for a global carbon emissions scheme for their industry, arguing that an emerging patchwork of regional and national systems could bring more, not less, environmental damage.

Preparedness for chemical disaster

The

Mumbai: Panic gripped the residents of Pawane village in Navi Mumbai after ammonia gas leaked from a nearby cold storage in the wee hours of Tuesday. At least 55 villagers were admitted to the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation hospital after they complained of uneasiness and problem in breathing after inhaling the gas.

Bokaro, Feb. 25: Two employees of Bokaro Steel fell unconscious after a gas leak at a steel melting shop-II this morning.

The condition of the two

DC orders inquiry into alleged JMC negligence

Fifteen students of Shri Mahavir Jain Higher Secondary School fell unconscious here this morning after they came in contact with methane gas that emanated from a cesspit of a house.

BHUBANESWAR: At least three people were killed after inhaling poisonous carbon monoxide gas in a sponge iron factory in Orissa's Jharsuguda district, police said Friday.

The deaths occurred at the Singhal Enterprises Private Ltd. factory at Hirma, some 400 km from here, at around 8 p.m. Thursday.

Pages