KOLKATA, 23 JAN: Seventy people fell ill and 5,000 people were affected following leakage of ammonia gas from a cold storage at Nagerbazar in Dum Dum today. Panic gripped residents and many fled the locality.
Around 5,000 people were affected and some of them were admitted to a local hospital. Residents developed breathing problems and eye irritation.
KOLKATA, 24 JAN: The leaking valves of the cold storage, which emitted ammonia gas affecting about 3000 people in Nager Bazar area in the northern outskirts of the city, were yet to be fully plugged this morning.
Rajkot: Residents of the stretch between Nanamava chokadi and Nanamava Gam on 150-feet Ring Road were panic stricken as the main pipeline of Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation (GSPC) carrying LPG developed a leak on Monday.
Though no casualty or damage to property was reported, fumes could be seen emanating out of the pipeline.
Contrary to the claims made by Union Carbide Corporation — now The Dow Chemical Company — that the methyl isocyanate (MIC) which killed thousands of people in Bhopal in December, 1984, following a leak in its pesticide unit, was not highly poisonous, a report released by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has established that it caused not only “acute cyanide toxici