Joint Committee report on measures taken to mitigate Hussain Sagar lake pollution, 09/06/2021
Joint Committee report in the matter of Dr. Lubna Sarwath Vs State of Telangana & Others dated 09/06/2021 regarding measures taken for mitigating pollution in Hussain Sagar lake.
The Joint Committee has requested the NGT to issue directions to the concerned departments for submitting a time bound action plan to comply with the recommendations of the committee to improve the water quality of the Hussain Sagar lake.
Some of the recommendations are the following:
- The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) must quantify the sewage generated in the entire city and submit a time bound action plan for the treatment of the entire sewage generated in the Hyderabad city limits.
- The Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA) has called for a global tender for the bio-remediation of the lake, without tapping the pollution at the source.
- HMDA should ensure regular operation of STPs maintained by them and to reuse the entire treated sewage rather than discharging into water bodies.
- To submit a time bound action plan for the construction and operation of the proposed 17 STPs at the Kukatpally catchment area.
- To ensure that the laying of sewer collection network to convey sewage to proposed 17 STPs is completed at par with the proposed STPs, a time bound action plan should also be provided.