2024 water funding gap report

Action Against Hunger released the 2024 Water Funding Gap report, finding that globally, only 36% of appeals for water- and sanitation-related funding were met in 2023, leaving a 64% gap. Despite dwindling aid, the need for assistance is intensifying – 3.6 billion people worldwide lack adequate sanitation, and are susceptible to water-borne diseases, rendering them even more vulnerable to life-threatening malnutrition. The report, released in advance of World Water Day on March 22, examines data from countries with the most urgent needs seeking financial support for water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programs through the UN humanitarian system.