To hold global average temperature increase to 1.5°C, global CO2 emissions need to reach net-zero by 2050, with rapid decarbonisation in all sectors. Global transport emissions have continued to steadily increase, with transport emissions accounting for 24 percent of direct CO2 emissions from fuel combustion.

Road safety is a sustainable development challenge for the Asia-Pacific region. The Global Status Report on Road Safety published in 2018 by the World Health Organization indicated that more than 60 per cent of the global road fatalities occurred in the Asia-Pacific region.

Non-exhaust emissions of particulate matter constitute a little-known but rising share of emissions from road traffic and have significant negative impacts on public health. This report synthesizes the current state of knowledge about the nature, causes, and consequences of non-exhaust particulate emissions.

A rapid and fundamental shift is required in transport to enable the decarbonisation required to meet the objectives of the Paris Climate Agreement, with actors in both the energy and transport sectors working together. To that end, REN21 teamed up with the FIA Foundation to do an in-depth study: Renewable Energy Pathways in Road Transport.

Freight transport operations poses the risks during the pandemics, especially if it is not fully computerized. The first part of the technical note focuses on the international road transport of countries along the Asian Highway network in face of COVID-19 pandemic.

The State Road Transport Undertakings (SRTUs) are an important player in providing bus-based public transport to urban and rural population of the country. They account for about 8% of the total bus fleet being used for road transport in the country with the remaining 92% being held by private operators.

High fatality and injury rates on Bangladesh’s roads are undermining the remarkable progress that this South Asian nation has made on boosting economic growth and reducing poverty. Estimates of annual deaths in road accidents range from 2,538 to nearly 10 times that—between 20,736 and 21,316, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

There is an increasing recognition that policy initiatives at the regional level can complement and strengthen country road safety strategies and programs. This is certainly the case in the South Asia region, with implications for regional road safety investment priorities and potential for shared road safety initiatives.

Road crash deaths and injuries in Nepal have been on a sharp upward trajectory since the early 2000s. In fiscal year 2017–18, 2,541 road deaths were officially reported in Nepal, which is equivalent to a fatality rate of 8.59 per 100,000 population.

India has the world’s highest reported number of annual road crash fatalities. According to the World Health Organization, road crash fatalities in India account for approximately 11 percent of the estimated 1.35 million global toll each year.

Pages